Research and submissions
The TIO made 12 public submissions to inquiries on issues of interest to regulators and telecommunications industry groups. One of the ways we fulfil our role of being an independent voice is by making recommendations to these consultations based on our analysis of TIO complaints.
Some submissions we made were about regulations for:
- international roaming
- credit reporting
- mobile premium services
- priority assistance, and
- number portability.
Please see our website for a full list of public submissions.
Our response to the review of the TIO
In May 2013, we gave an update of our progress in addressing the recommendations of a government review of the TIO in 2012.
The response described how our strategic plan will help us address the recommendations from 2012 to 2015. The areas progressed in 2012-13 included:
- creating a committee to oversee our transition to a unitary governance structure
- making changes to our complaint handling procedures to allow us to report about non-compliant service providers
- reviewing our systemic investigations procedures to focus on improving telco industry practice
- enhancing our systems to improve our public reporting of complaints data, and
- consulting stakeholders about publishing comparative complaints information in 2013-14.
Please visit our website for our full response to the review.